For Our Patients
- For Our Patients >
- Discharge Instructions: Carpal Tunnel Release
Patient Discharge Instructions: Carpal Tunnel Release
First Follow-Up Appointment
You should have a follow-up appointment already made. If not, please contact our office at (920) 882-8200 or toll free (888) 231-5236 as soon as possible so an appointment can be made.
Call your doctor if you have any questions or problems such as:
- Excessive bleeding
- Excessive pain or pain that is not relieved by prescription medication
- Signs of infection:
- increased swelling
- drainage or red streaks up your arm
- fever greater than 101.5
Follow these instructions until you see the doctor in the office:
- Keep your hand above the level of your heart at all times for the first 3-5 days. This will diminish the swelling and minimize postoperative bleeding and pain to promote quicker healing. When sitting up, you may rest it across the back of a chair or couch or prop it upon several pillows.
- A large bulky dressing has been applied to your incision it should be removed in our office approximately 48 hours after the operation.
- After the dressing is removed, you may gently wash the area of the incision with a wet cloth.
DO NOT GET THE INCISION SOAKING WET OR SOAK THE INCISION IN EPSOM SALTS OR ANY OTHER SOLUTION.
- You may eat a regular diet.
- Activities such as driving, which involve use of the operated hand, should be avoided until after the sutures are removed. You may pursue other activities as you tolerate them, but do not do any heavy lifting, pushing or pulling type activities.
Medications ordered by your doctor:
- Percocet for pain - Please take as needed for pain.
- Clindamycin which is an antibiotic - Sent to your pharmacy. Please start taking as prescribed.
If you are taking other medications, please check with the pharmacist at the time you have the medication filled to make certain no interactions with other medications occur.
Do not operate machinery, drink alcohol, or drive while you are taking prescription pain medication.
* PLEASE REMEMBER TO KEEP YOUR FOLLOW-UP APPOINTMENTS